Periodontal disease, defined as the chronic inflammation of supporting gums and bone around teeth, is one of the most prevalent disease globally. It is primarily caused by bacterial plaque and its progression and severity may be influenced by smoking, diabetes, and genetics. It is characterised by bleeding gums, swollen gums, formation of gum pockets, shrinking gums, bad breath, shaky teeth, and may result in eventual tooth loss. As such, this condition can cause a reduction in chewing and speaking efficiency, self-esteem, and quality of life.
The discipline of Periodontology deals with the prevention, control, and management of periodontal (gum) and peri-implant (inflammation around dental implants) diseases. Our treatment philosophy is to help our patients manage periodontal disease through early detection, customised oral health treatment and oral hygiene instructions, meticulous removal of bacterial plaque, rehabilitation with dental implants, regeneration of supporting gums and bone around teeth and / or dental implants, and enrolment into a life-long maintenance regimen. In addition, we do treat inflammation of the gums and bone around dental implants as well as maintain the health of implants.
Treatments offered by our specialty include:
- Clinical and radiographic examinations
- Diagnosis and treatment planning
- Customised oral health education and oral hygiene instructions
- Scaling and root debridement (deep cleaning) around teeth and dental implants
- Management of acute periodontal conditions, such as gum abscesses
- Advanced surgical procedures, such as open gum debridement, regeneration of gums and bone around teeth and/or dental implants, and placement of dental implants.
- Regular maintenance care of teeth and dental implants.